Author Topic: introducing myself  (Read 2055 times)

Gerry Molumby

• View Profile
introducing myself
« on: January 15, 2003, 01:44:53 AM »
Greetings from sunny Arizona,

As far as we know the first of our Molumby clan left Ballinvoher, Kilworth, County Cork and arrived in Boston about 1848. Little is known about those who remained except we've found from various sources, that they called themselves (among other names) Molumpy, Molumphy and Malumphy.

We haven't had a lot of success locating other descendants ... and we're still trying to learn more about the "From Whence We Came," for our clan.

The most likely scenario ... would seem to be a link to the Molumbys now in the Moycarkey area of Tipperary (some 30 or so miles away) ... but so far, we haven't been able to establish a connection.

Another possibility is that they were always Molumpys, Molumphys or Malumphys in Kilworth ... and for some reason the spelling was changed to Molumby, when they arrived in the US.

And MacLysaght in "The Surnames of Ireland" only confuses the issue by adding the Molon(e)y possibility to the mix ... He writes:

"(0) Molumby ... Woulfe treats this as a distinct name, O'Maolchomadh of southwest Cork (see Moloney) but it is also one of the several variants of Mullanphy."  .....

And under the Molon(e)y surname he makes the following comments (in part):

"....... In County Tipperary, Maloughney has become Molony in some cases; there too the Molumby family of the Corca Laoidhe has been changed to Moloney.

If this rings a bell with any of you Mal/Mel/Mol/Muls out there ... or if you have any comments, please get in touch with us.

Thanks,
   Gerry and Dodie Molumby
   in Sun City, AZ  USA

introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 06:34:14 AM »
There is a strong possibility that a Family-connection will soon be residing in Ballyduff.....one of the South African cuzzies is negotiating on a property near the Blackwater River. Absolutely beautiful countryside.....bring your trout rods.

Daniel G Mellamphy
Daniel G Mellamphy