Author Topic: RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS  (Read 10571 times)

RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »
Greetings,
   I came across a reference to Maelanfaidh when I was checking-up on "The MacGillonies of Strone, Glenloy & Glenmallie.....formally associated with Clan Chattan, long before the ancestors of the Lochiel settled in Lochaber ."
   Anyone interested may contact me & I will supply what information I have .

refer : http://www.clan-cameron.org/septs.html

Go to MacGillonies etc .

Is this the missing link ?

Kind regards,
   Dan Mellamphy NZ
Daniel G Mellamphy

jfmolanphy

• View Profile
RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:13 AM »
We sure need to connect with more than a few links - the 115 variant spellings must somehow be brought togeter - hope work is being done at the gatherings -John in Santa Fe[8D]

RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:12:34 AM »
Hi John in Santa Fe,
   I would be more than delighted if more people got off their chuffs & added  even the smallest bit of information about their family history & connection to the wider group. Some may  think that it's not worth bothering about....but it is very important that these forums are kept alive & functioning.
   Re-unions are times for meeting & greeting each other in person. They are hardly "classroom sessions" & there are not enough hours available to have in-depth investigations on individual cases. More broad brush-strokes rather than fine detail.
   I would suggest that those attending Re-unions have their home-work done prior to the gatherings & perhaps have stuff available for study by the group during the meetings. (Old photos, documents , stories etc .)
   We live & learn....ever hopeful.
   Cheers,
   Dan NZ
Daniel G Mellamphy

Graeme

• View Profile
RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
Dear Dan and fellow O'Maolanfaidh's / Maelandaidh's,

The link for Maelanfaidh / MacGillonie / MacAloney / Millony to Clan Cameron is definitive. Most of the MacGillonies were known as MacGillonie / MacAloney / Maelanfhaidh, Macalonvie, etc., locally but when abroad would have been known as Cameron or Cameron of Strone, Cameron of Glen Mallie, etc. Therefore many eventually adopted the name Cameron. My family, Macaloney, appear to have lived up to their original name as in "stormy or stubborn" because they  stuck to their name rather than convert to Cameron.

There are many variations on the Cameron clan history, often at odds with each other. From my readings, the “History of the Camerons with genealogies of the principal families of the name" by Alexander MacKenzie 1884 (reprinted 2004/5 by Stewart Publishing – a 480 page tome) is perhaps closest to presenting the most plausible link between Maelanfhaidh and Cameron. In it he refers to the Gaelic manuscript MS 1450 (re-dated to 1467) which gives the genealogies of the principal Highland clans including Cameron / Maelanfaidh. From this it is clear that Millony (anglification of Maelanfaidh) is related to another great and ancient local Lochaber (South-Western Inverness-shire) name of MacMartin or MacGilleMartan. It is also clear that the famous Locheil Cameron’s sprang from the Millonies and both families lived together as brethren with the Locheil branch eventually assuming the chiefship of Clan Cameron. Here is the extract from MacKenzie:

According to the Manuscript of 1450, which begins the genealogy of the MacGillonie Camerons with Ewen, son of this Donald Dubh, the descent of the early family order: – “Ewen, son of Donald Dubh, son of Allan Millony, son of Paul, son of Gillepatrick, son of Gillemartan, son of Paul, son of Millony, son of Gilleroth,* from whom descended the Clan Cameron and Clan Millony; son of Gillemartan Og, son of Gilleniorgan, son of Gillemartan Mor, son of Gilleewen, son of Gillepaul, son of Eacada, son of Gartnaid, son of Digail, son of Poulacin, son of Art, son of Angus Mor, son of Erc, son of Telt.”†. This genealogy clearly refers to the “Maelanfhaigh” or Macgillonie branch of the family, and it begins with Ewen, second son of Donald Dubh, who thus appears to be the progenitor of the Macgillonie or Camerons of Strone; while Allan, the eldest
   son, succeeded his father Donald, and carried on the Lochiel-Cameron line of succession…

Your link to the Clan Cameron web site below is a good and useful one however, the writer of that particular piece is in error when he/she says the name meant 'servant of the prophet'. The majority of sources say it is actually derived from 'servant of the storm' which in Scottish gaelic is Maelanfhaidh or Mhaolonfhaidh or Maolonfhaidh, etc. According to Black in his thorough and comprehensive "The Surnames of Scotland: Their Origins. Meaning, and History" (George F. Black 1946; reprinted 2004 by Birlinn Ltd.), the use of Maol was gradually replaced in Scotland by Gille (meaning servant or lad) after the 12th century.  Hence Mac Gill onfhaidh or MacGillonie or the anglicized form, Macolonie / M’illonie / Macalonvie / Macaloney came to replace Millony or Maelanfaidh. Black has entries on all of these variants. The most tantalizing that may possibly connect the MacGillonies and therefore Clan Cameron to Maelanfaidh abbot of Dairinis is the entry for MAELANFAID. Black is simply recording known instances of the name – but if we could connect them through further research, this would be hugely valuable. Here is Black’s entry for MAELANFAID:

In the Gaelic genealogical MS. Of 1467 this name is given as that of the father of Donald Du, ancestor and eponymous of Cameron of Locheil, and also as that of his ancestor six generations further back (Coll., p 53, 357). The name means ‘servant of the storm’ (onfaidh) and not ‘servant of the prophet’  (faidh) as it is sometimes rendered. The old name of Clan Cameron was Clann Mael-anfaidh, ‘children of the chief of the storm’ . The name appears later as Gillonfhaidh. An Irish saint, Maelanfaid, abbot of Dairinis is commemorated on 31st January (Mart. Gorm.). Angus, Maelanfaid’s son, was slaughtered in Skye in 710 (A.U.). The name appears again in the same annals under c. 725 as Maelanfaidh. See under MACALONIE and MACGILLONIE. Allan, son of Millony, was known as Ailein Mac Mhaolonfhaidh, which in due course of time was pronounced Ailein Mac Olonai, and was pronounced in English Allan MacOlony. By blundering os some scribe this was converted to Allan Mac Ochtery, “a name which never existed among the Macgillonies or any other Highland clan.”

For O’Maolanfaidh’s / Mellamphy’s / Malanaphy’s,  etc interested in a concise and riveting short history of the Clan Cameron, with mention of Maelanfaidh, I would recommend the 4 page chapter entitled ‘Clan Cameron’ in Gerald Warner’s “Homelands of the Clans”, 1980. Warner is a former Prof. in Medieval and Modern History at the Univ. of Glasgow.

Three points of interest which may suggest a link between Maelanfaidh and the Scottish MacOlony’s / Macaloney’s  are:

i)   The MS 1467 has several Maelanfaidh’s (translated by William Skene to Millony) in it going back to an Angus Mor. Could there be any connection to the Ulster Annals Maelanfaidh references in Black’s treatise, above?

ii)    There was an early monastery on the Scottish island of Lismore in the sound of Lorne, adjacent to Lochaber. Could there be a connection between Mealanfaidh with his Irish Dairinis and Lismore associations and the Scottish Lismore?

iii)   Rather tenuous, but a heraldic symbol for the Clan Cameron is a sheath of five arrows. As I recall, the O’Maolanfaidh’s also use arrows as a heraldic symbol. Could this be a proud tradition carried on by the Millony’s to Clan Cameron from Maelanfaidh?
   Interestingly, there is a wonderful story of one of the early clashes between Clan Cameron and Clan Chattan (MacIntosh, MacPhersons, Davidsons, etc) that amazingly went on for over 350 years and made the Camerons second only to the MacGregor’s in terms of being beset by, and surviving despite, powerful external powers. This almost 400 yr feud was specifically over the lands of Glen Loy , Glen Mallie and Loch Arkaig where the MacGillonies actually lived. Talk about being stubborn by name and stubborn by nature! Anyway, at this early clash, called the battle of Invernahavon,  in 1370 the Clan Cameron was led by a famous archer, big Charlie MacGillonie (Tearlach Mor Mac Ghill Onfhaidh). They initially defeated the MacIntosh and Davidsons while the MacPhersons stood by. Finally the MacPherson’s joined the battle and routed the Camerons. As the Camerons retreated, Tearlach Mor fought a rear-guard action with his bow. His demise came when,  after dispatching several Clan Chattan men, Tearlach faced up against a famous archer from their side. They both loosed their arrows simultaneously, killing the other opponent at the same time. Quite the outcome! Tearlach MacGillonie was sufficiently famous that a cairn was built and named after him where he died (in Clan MacPherson country) and the local hill is known as Coire Thearlaich.

If some research could be coordinated on Maelanfaidh and its Irish-Scottish connection, we might be able to link the O’Maolanfaidh’s to one of the most famous and romantic of Scottish clans, and link many Cameron brethren to the famous Maelanfaidh Abbot! Are there any scholarly studies being done on this? If not, what would it take to initiate / sponsor one?

Regards,
   Graeme

Graeme Macaloney PhD
   (ex-pat Scot living in Canada)
   e-mail: Graeme.Macaloney@hotmail.com

RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »
On behalf of O'Maolanfaidh World-wide may we tip our hats towards you Graeme Maelanfaidh-Macaloney.
   We have indeed cracked a hard nut to-day & I am more than certain that we will have a pleasant reaction from the tribe everywhere.

From myself & my family here in New Zealand "This is a great day !!!!"Thank you.
   Dan NZ
Daniel G Mellamphy

pmelanefy

• View Profile
RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »
Very interesting information re Camerons.It opens up awole new branch. Thanks Graeme. I extracted the following from the source site:-
   "Sometime around the beginning of the 15th century (or possibly earlier) the Camerons established themselves as a Highland clan in the western end of the Great Glen in Lochaber. It is likely they did so through the marriage of a local heiress of the Mael-anfhaidh kindred (Clan Mael-anfaidh, which Moncreiffe translates as "children of He who was Dedicated to the Storm"). By the 15th century, after the Mael-anfhaidh chiefship had passed into the Cameron family, the local families of MacGillonie of Strone, MacMartin of Letterfinlay and MacSorley of Glen Nevis were absorbed within the incoming Clan Cameron."
   (Source:- http://sthweb.bu.edu/shaw/anna-howard-shaw-center/biography?view=mediawiki&article=Mael-anfhaidh)
   Could the amalgamation indeed be by marriage?

RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:26:48 AM »
Greetings all,
   Thanks for that lead Peter.
   Some years ago my daughter Jacqui Mellamphy was working in a Bank here in Auckland. A chap noticed her name-tag & asked her if she knew the Gaelic pronounciation of it & she was able to do that. He came back a few days later with an article about MAELANFAIDH of Scotland.
   Because I was in the process of moving to Waiheke Island lots of stuff got packed away or discarded. However, I distinctly recall that the article opened with something like this :
   " The Lady Maelanfaidh ,Heiress of Inverness brought into the marriage to Cameron 50.000 acres of land.....it was through that alliance that Camerons got their wealth....."
   I leave it there for further comment.

Some of my North American cousins pull my leg about my "claim"...but hey, that's what being Irish is all about !!!
   Cheers,
   Dan NZ
Daniel G Mellamphy

RE-UNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »
Greetings all,
   During the past week I have sat in my place over-looking Onetangi Beach, Waiheke Island & in the presence of Norman Cameron , local secretary of Clan Cameron, signed into Clan Cameron .
   I have stuck my spear in the ground on your behalf & I will let you
   know how I survive during a forthcoming meeting with the wider Clan prior to Christmas.

Cheers & hoots !!!
   Dan o' the Isle
Daniel G Mellamphy